Our Programs and Services
SERVICES TO VOLUNTEERS
The Oceanside Volunteer Association maintains a data base of current volunteer opportunities for potential volunteers to review. Volunteers complete an application form and are provided with a Criminal Record Check form and letter. When the form and letter are taken to the RCMP office on Pym Street, the RCMP will complete a Criminal Record Check free of charge. When the paperwork is complete, volunteers are interviewed to help them identify appropriate volunteer positions. O.V.A. staff will prepare a referral form with the potential organizations contact information.
The O.V.A. maintains a library of resource materials of interest to volunteers including: volunteer organizations in Oceanside; training materials; and research about the benefits of volunteering.
SERVICES TO VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATIONS
Organizations may submit as many volunteer requests as they wish. O.V.A. will carry out active recruitment to fill those requested positions. O.V.A. maintains a data base of individuals who would like to volunteer and will contact appropriate individuals to inform them about the opportunity. In addition, O.V.A. currently enjoys sponsorship for a free newspaper advertisement each month to advertise members volunteer postings.
O.V.A. promotes member organizations by: Displaying their brochures in the O.V.A. office for perusal by volunteers; providing assistance with special events; providing contact and service information on the Member Organization Directory of the O.V.A. website; and highlighting special events and activities or member organizations on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
The O.V.A. maintains a library of resource materials of interest to volunteer organizations on such topics as the role of the Board of Directors, trends in volunteering, volunteer management and fundraising.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- Priority listing your volunteer needs on our website, office listing; monthly newspaper advertisement and radio broadcasts.
- Active recruitment of volunteers to fill urgent and immediate needs.
- Mutual support with OVA and other members to reach our shared common goals of community development.
- Listing in our website Member Directory page, with a link to your organization.
- Priority placement for special events such as Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, workshops and Volunteer Fest.
- OVA has teamed up with Volunteer Nanaimo and our members now enjoy the opportunity to participate in Volunteer Nanaimo workshops and events at reduced rates.
- The opportunity to nominate your volunteers as Featured Volunteer and have their photograph appear in our newspaper ads and on our website. Display your brochures in our office.
- We often receive donations of equipment, furniture or supplies which we then offer to our Member Agencies. In the past we have donated computers and miscellaneous office furniture and equipment.
- Affiliate membership in Volunteer B.C.
Community Builder Event - Flash Mob Dance
Job Creation Partnership Program
Workshops & Special Training
Social Media Management, Volunteering, Food Safe, Resume Preparation, Fundraising, Image Enhancement, Grant Proposal Writing, Effective Marketing for Non-Profits, Board Governance, and Volunteer Management
- The O.V.A. participated in the Katimavik Program.
- The O.V.A. has provided work experience and training to a student completing a certificate program in business administration.
Volunteer Recognition and Appreciation
- We have held Volunteer Appreciation Luncheons on behalf of non-profit organizations in Oceanside.
- We have developed a volunteer appreciation web page Click here to see our featured volunteers.
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.